About 5 years ago I read my first Charlie “Tremendous” Jones book. His books are more than great, they are life changing. His quote/ teaching that has helped me the most in my life is, “Five years from now you will be pretty much the same as you are today except for two things: the books you read and the people you get close to.”
I am now realizing more and more how true that is. Not too long ago we started associating more with people who are super healthy and fit. I also started reading more about health and nutrition. The people who are most healthy and fit we found eat differently and have incredibly active lives. These words are not foreign in their lives: running, biking, swimming, PR (personal record), training, Marathon, Triathlon, cross-training, etc. Their life-style is rubbing off onto us (which we are thankful for 🙂
If you would also like to create a more active life-style for yourself and your family, but don’t know where to go, here are some ideas for you to get started:
- Look for well traveled trails near your home. For example, the Lehigh Parkway (if you live in LV.) There are always runners, bikers, dog-walkers, and families there. Maybe you’ll make another friend 🙂
- Search hospitals for different “get fit” programs. Another LV example: First Strides. Sponsored by Lehigh Valley Heath Network. It’s a 12 week program that gets women prepared to run a 5K and it does not matter at all if you have run in the past or not. It’s also a great way to meet new people from around the area.
- Join a free online community of individuals who workout at home like http://www.WOWY.com. It’s a great support tool, and whether you are a stay-at-home mom or someone who has to wake up at 4am to get a workout in, you are always able to find someone who is in a similar situation as yourself.
- Base your outings with friends around something that gets you moving instead of going out to eat. Try small hikes at first. Look for some hikes around waterfalls like Glenn Onoko in Jim Thorpe or Bushkill Falls in Bushkill; they are so beautiful. You could also go roller skating, ice skating, biking, or get some frustration out at the batting cages.
- Sign-up for a race. There are so many out there and all raising money for good causes. If you’re not a runner and have no desire, there is usually a walk associated with the race. ring your whole family, the more the merrier.
Don’t be afraid to get out there and mingle. The more you associate with active people, the more you will also become active. That’s the way it works.
If you have other suggestions of ways that you have stayed active in your life, please share in the comments section. You never know, maybe someone can benefit from your input.
Thanks for reading,